- Many states require minors to have work permits.
- Some states require minors to have work permits specific to working in entertainment (which includes commercials & print photo shoots).
- Some states require the employer to have a permit to hire minors to work in entertainment.
- Several states, including California and New York, require Minor Trust withholding (sometimes called “Coogan” deductions).
- SAG-AFTRA has rules governing employment of minors (and these rules vary somewhat by specific union contract).
- The SAG-AFTRA Commercials Contract requires a teacher on set to provide educational instruction when the minor will miss 3 or more days of school.
- California requires a Certified Studio Teacher present every day the child is working.
The TEAM Companies offer resources and information regarding employment of minors in entertainment and advertising. We are also proud to partner with Children in Film for additional resources and information regarding employment of minors in these industries.