A new version of the I-9 form went into effect 7/17/2017.
The old version of the I-9 is no longer valid.
An I-9 form must be completed for every employee who is hired and completed completely within specific time frames or risk substantial penalties of up to $2156 per form.
Employers do have some options in how to handle this process.
- The new “Smart” form, created by the US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), is designed to be filled out on a computer.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader or Pro must be used and it must be printed out to be signed.
- It offers features such as contextual help, drop downs and error checking.
- As it does not allow saving in ‘smart’ mode after the Employee completes Section 1, it is designed to be used in an interactive session between the Employee and Reviewer.
- A copy of the 2017 “Smart I-9” is available from the USCIS website at: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9.pdf?download=1
- A manual .PDF has also been released by the USCIS.
- This version of the 2017 I-9 is designed to be printed out and filled out manually and signed.
- Click here for a copy of the manual 2017 I-9, or it is available from the USCIS website at: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9-paper-version.pdf?download=1
- The TEAM Companies’ TTC Online system includes a web based form that includes all features of the USCIS smart form and adds electronic signature, storage capabilities and the ability for the Employee fill out Section 1, prior to the Reviewer filling out Section 2. This system also allows web based onboarding of all required payroll paperwork as well as web based time cards. This system is available to TTC clients at no charge. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: TTC Online Onboarding is currently available for Crew payroll. We anticipate availability for all Divisions later in 2017.
Whichever form you decide to utilize, there are specific requirements regarding procedures and timing that are required. Employer guidance, including information on requirements for non-citizens, as well as a copy of the USCIS Employer Handbook for Completing Form I-9 is available at the links below:
- USCIS Employer Handbook for Completing Form I-9
- USCIS I-9 Central
- USCIS Employment Eligibility Information
- USCIS Complete & Correct Form I-9
One of the requirements is that the 15 page instructions must be available to the employee when they are filling out the form.
- Click here for a copy of the USCIS 2017 I-9 Instructions, or you can download a copy at the USCIS website at: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9instr.pdf?download=1
Additional general I-9 information, including information on requirements for non-citizens is available at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central
NOTE: Identity and Work Authorization Documents: Employees must provide ORIGINAL documents of their choice from the approved lists. The Employer CANNOT specify which documents they present. Employers may or may not retain copies of the documents, BUT THEY ARE OBLIGATED TO APPLY THIS POLICY CONSISTENTLY FOR ALL HIRES.
NOTE: How to Download 2017 “Smart” Form I-9
For optimum performance, please download PDF document(s) to your computer and open from your local drive with Adobe Acrobat (Reader or Pro). The latest version of the free Adobe Reader is available at: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
SPECIAL NOTE – FIREFOX BROWSERS AND MAC USERS
- For Mac users, first save the file to your local drive, then open using either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- For Firefox users, please click the “Open with Different Viewer” button in the upper right corner of your screen and choose “Adobe Acrobat”
- For Macs and Firefox, if you simply double-click the file, it will open in the default viewer, which may result in display errors and prevent entering and saving of your data.
TO DOWNLOAD THE FORM FROM THE CHROME WEB BROWSER:
- Click the link to the Form I-9 you wish to download.
- Click the arrow that displays in the PDF file download box that will appear in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Select “Show in folder” from the drop-down that appears.
- Open the form that appears in your Download folder.
For best results, ensure that you use the most current version of the browser of your choice.
Contact: Carl Zucker, VP Production Business Affairs, 646-358-1408 or email@example.com with any I-9 questions.